Introductions Megathread

Howdy y'all, I'm Steve. I spent 6 years at Blizzard doing tech art across a whole bunch of teams, now I'm at Secret Door doing more tech art.

5 Likes

hi, i'm felix. i'm a technical/systems game designer who also dabbled in tools programming. i'm learning unreal after getting laid off the last few months. i was at naughty dog for a while and then was doing mobile for a year and change.

i've been mostly lurking on the discord for the last month but have been posting here and thereeeee

6 Likes

howdy! I'm Priscilla, a composer/sound designer originally from arkansas, now living in Montreal and struggling to learn french...

I've been freelancing full time since 2019, and I've worked on a bunch of games in the past decade, but most recent are: JETT the far Shore, Patrick's Parabox, IMMORTALITY, and Revenant Hill (RIP). Currently I'm wrapping up work on Times & Galaxy (Copychaser Games) and working on Skin Deep with Blendo Games.

I also have an experimental personal project I'm really excited about that's just starting to get into the earliest stages of prototyping...

Here's a picture of some nonsense happening on my desk... (yes that's a CRT tv, 2 VHS players, and a PS2)

6 Likes

yo im bob (some combination of she and they pronouns currently), im in the uk and i do gameplay programming, im 19 joined the industry professionally last year so pretty new to things
at the moment i work on apex legends at respawn, previously i worked on apex legends as well as maintenance for the titanfall games at lucid games (who were contracted for tools and ui code on apex), when lucid moved off apex i got myself poached
before that i made https://northstar.tf which is essentially a server emulator and modloader for titanfall 2 on pc
in my own time at the moment im a bit of a linux user (derogatory), and spend quite alot of time tinkering with my system and writing a little game development library slash engine that i may eventually ship something on but likely not for a while
i might be on here a bit, idk
my cohost is @bobthebob and it's currently really all i use social media wise though i'm not really super active there in general, was on twitter but it signed me out for some reason recently and i have yet to find a reason to get back on it

5 Likes

hello! i'm etpc! and i'm the senior social media guy for Mighty Foot Productions on the Duke Nukem Forever: Restoration Project! i'm also a QA tester, community moderator, stream cohost and various other roles on the project. i've always wanted to tip my toe into game dev but was too anxious about it but i fell into this dream project which tests me with new tasks and new knowledge everyday, and now i never shut the fuck up about it. i'm sorry in advance.

here's our moddb page: Duke Nukem Forever: Restoration Project mod - ModDB

if you have any arcane knowledge of UE1, especially around avoiding BSP holes, please share it with me. it will make my life better.

i'm on the awful garbage website at @etpc15 and i'm on the much better eggbug website at just @ETPC

6 Likes

hello friend!!!

1 Like

ONCE MORE THE PATHS CONVERGE FOR A MOMENT BURNED INTO FATE........

(how the heck are you!!!!!!!)

1 Like

hi i’m izzy (she/her), trans game programmer/designer. been making games for over a decade but probably most well known for working on A Little Game Called Mario (maybe you’ve heard of it?) or for publicly embarrassing myself by marrying Gex

i have worked at Funomena, No Goblin, and a third place that i think i’m just going to try to erase from my memory since they laid me off only 2 months after i started, immediately before christmas break and the birth of my first child (which i was promised parental leave for)

anyway you can find pretty much everything i’ve done via my website

7 Likes

also social media-wise i’m most active on bluesky now but also starting to do some shitposting on tiktok

1 Like

Howdy, I'm Christian, I'm a game dev in the UK who does Tools Programmer stuff most of the time, specifically with Splash Damage atm, but in my spare time I also work on my own projects so I can understand Unreal better.

Happy this forum exists!

6 Likes

I'm Shawn. I live in the US (New Orleans) and am currently trying to mentally prepare for the upcoming 6 months of brutal heat and humidity.

My background is in architecture, that's what I went to school for, and I spent a decade designing buildings for a living before deciding I didn't want to do that anymore. So I bailed on a few years back and since then I've been dabbling in solo gamedev. My previous dev experience was some basic webdev back in college, so I was mostly starting from scratch. It's been slow going, but it's still way better than spending all day arguing with contractors and lawyers and mechanical engineers.

You can see some of my little projects at https://tracfacsam.itch.io. I used Unity for a long time, but was slowly becoming more and more annoyed with it. The stupid monetization scheme, and more specifically the half-assed way they tried to implement it, was the final push I needed to start exploring other game engines. Eventually found my way to UE, and that's how I ended up on the impromptu discord and to this forum.

Besides creating games, I enjoy making things in the physical world as well. My garage is a halfway decent shop. I used to do a lot of woodworking, and still make things from wood sometimes, but I also like using other materials that are cheaper and less heavy and don't give you splinters. Over the past few years I've crafted a bunch of things from foam, and paper mache, and pieces of random stuff I find laying around.

I also play beach volleyball and am pretty good for an older guy who's only 5'-7". I've got an awesome wife and we've got an absolutely amazing daughter. We also have a cat named Zookie, and my bluesky account is mostly pictures of her.

3 Likes

Heya, I'm Wouter but I usually go by Blueberry_pie online. I work as a programmer (not games-related) and spend much of my free time tinkering with game development/modding and 3D art. Source/GMod folks might know me from my maps gm_fork and gm_boreas, and since then I've also released a map for Onward (not sure if it's still available or functional) and a VR mod for Alba: A Wildlife Adventure.

Lately I've mainly been using geometry nodes in Blender to build a 1:1 scale recreation of the Cinque Terre region in Italy, which I'm planning to release as a custom track for Assetto Corsa some time this year. Some old progress pics can be found on my Patreon that I haven't updated in ages. It's been taking longer than anticipated (as with most of my projects) but I'm still having fun so whatever. After that I'd like to focus on actually finishing and releasing some games of my own.

5 Likes

is this how I find out you made gm_fork

i loved that map! I also used it in Boreal Alyph to test the graphics stuff I was working on, hahah.

1 Like

Hi, I'm Jeff. I'm a game programmer! I've been doing it for a while now.

jefflake.info

3 Likes

It's Jeff!

This is Maxx Y! I'm a technical and artistic freelance person doing game and non game things mostly in Seattle and Kobe. I'm sometimes on the podcast Topic Lords. I love puzzle design, accessibility, and weird interactive sculpture. Sometimes people post articles about bug robots I worked on,

but I haven't worked on much released stuff game wise except QA on some lovely friends games and some tiny things on itch.

3 Likes

yo, i'm reese. she/they. i'm a multimedia artist specializing in music production and graphic design. currently dabbling in game dev and video editing. i'm currently better with an nle than godot. i would like to be adequate with both.

i post music here and i'm gonna post other assorted projects here.

2 Likes

Sup, I'm Quandini or Flynn depending on where we met!
I've been pursuing games since age 7 and have been using Unreal Engine since 4.15. I've ended up as lead semi-generalist / lead engineer (/ all round IT and DevOps, among other things) freelancing in various indie studios across the globe. I also had a short stint in the AAA sector as a junior engineer and used to do freelance graphic design for around 6 years.
Mostly a lurker but always happy to join in on a conversation and share some knowledge!

I'm probably the only kiwi on here (so far to my knowledge) but often spend time in Australia heading to various game dev related events (and bars). I've also got too many hobbies and never enough time and money to put into them :sweat_smile: you name it and it's is an interest of mine.

p.s. certified dyslexic, Grammarly my beloved :man_dancing:

1 Like

Hello, i'm PositronicWoman, formerly from cohost and twitter. I used to be a media critic, sensitivity reader, tabletop and comic writer, and attempted to break in the video games industry. Now I write short stories when I have the inspiration and continue to run my mouth online.

oh god ive forgotten how forums work

hi i'm eddie cameron, a cohost (RIP) refugee (@eddiecameron) from nz. ive been working on games for way too long, mostly as a programmer in unity. currently doing freelance work as well as making a queer rugby autochess-like with my partner.

i was mostly a cohost lurker but going to miss the drip feed of longer form game dev "takes" (complimentary) and maybe this fills some of that void

1 Like