Introductions Megathread

sick walkytalky imo

1 Like

I miss you too :sob::sob::sob:

2 Likes

Hey everyone, I’m Jón Kristinsson.

I am Icelandic, living in Denmark, working as an animator/motion designer. As my hobby I am working on my first game Tiny Tires, a tiny racing game inspired by Micro Machines.

I also draw and stuff.

6 Likes

Hi; I'm Izolde Fishman.

I'm kind of a generalist, but with a bent toward programming; I'd post a portfolio here but circumstances have kinda limited my productivity for a while.

I was doing some solo development (mostly Unity) for a while until ~6 years ago, when I was contacted for what eventually turned into my first real full-time position. I was homeless at the time, so I took that, naturally. Unfortunately, this position also gradually pulled me away from games to a lot of... proprietary tooling stuff, mostly. (It was also pretty disastrous for my mental health for reasons I don't really want to discuss, a thing I'm now dealing with. Poorly.) I was laid off last March but between the aforementioned mental health issues and trying to keep myself, my partner, and our cat housed I have... not been as productive as I'd like.

I am still unemployed, which is very - let's go with 'exciting' - but perhaps unsurprising between the fact that I completely failed to retain anything I could put in a portfolio at that last job and the fact that I have no network whatsoever.

I'll be honest, I don't really think I know how to network; I was never good at talking to people, but I kinda withdrew into myself while I was working that last job and I don't really know how to recover fully from that.

I'm currently working on a SRPG in Godot and trying to keep progress relatively consistent with at least modest success, at least; I've been keeping a devblog, but that's mostly just for the sake of my own accountability right now. Once there's a little more there (as opposed to building out boring basic functionality stuff) I'll try to talk more about it.

Bleh, I'm sorry about the fact that this is kind of a fucking mess, as an introduction. I don't really like talking about myself because I'm... kind of a fucking trainwreck? (Which, incidentally, probably contributes to my wholesale inability to network.) So I'll probably just try to avoid personal discussions in future.

5 Likes

hey folks i'm kim. I do level design, spending 6-8 hours a day just moving cubes back and forth in Blender.

5 Likes

Hello! I'm Paul "MoP" Greveson - I'm a British chap who's been doing game dev professionally for nearly 20 years, and unprofessionally for a few years longer than that...

Started out as a freelance 2D/3D artist in the early 2000s, then became a full-time Environment Artist working on titles like Enemy Territory: Quake Wars at Splash Damage, then moved to a more Technical Artist role and continued at Splash working on games like Brink, Batman: Arkham Origins, and a couple of games in the Gears of War series.
More recently I spent a few years working at EA SEED working on VR and Machine Learning research, and then for the past 5 years I've been at Embark Studios in Sweden, working on games like THE FINALS and ARC Raiders as a bit of a generalist (tools, pipeline, technical design, game code).

I have a lot of random knowledge about various game engines... old IDTech stuff, Unity and now Unreal. Still haven't tried Godot yet though.

I've done a couple of public talks on game dev stuff - one about character customization at GDC, and one about tooling and scripting in Unreal at a more recent UnrealFest.

I've got all sorts of projects going at any given time, and none of them are ever finished... check out my website for a random sample.

I'm MoP in the Impromptu Discord if you wanna chat about game dev stuff!

5 Likes

Heya! I'm Notewell, (She/Her, minoring in They/Them) and I'm vaguely some sort of indie dev.

My background is in Source/Goldsource level design, where I did a bunch of projects that never shipped as a teenager and two minor workshop addons for Black Mesa, and I am currently one of the developers working on Peer Review, a Half-Life Decay reimagining, but my current focuses are two projects codenamed Jioazi and Tenmusu, a Half-Like running in Unreal and a Pokemon-Like in Godot, respectively.

You can find me on socials through BluSky, Mastodon, Cohost, and even Tumblr if you're brave of heart, though I rarely post on any of them these days so it's mostly just reposts.

5 Likes

Hey I'm Dito, I make games sometimes, usually for game jams. I'm a generalist, interested in pretty much all aspects of game development.

In 2014, when UE4 was not yet available to everyone, I asked one of my teachers to request student access for me and a few other students, and I've been learning to use it ever since.

I miss the era of Flash games and I dream of making a tool someday that would be as weird and art-driven as Flash was.

I don't use socials currently, but I used to post some of my work to twitter.
And my jam games live on itch.io

5 Likes

Hi folks, I'm Forrest, I'm a programmer/designer, computer science background, been messing with Unreal Engine since 4 became publicly available I think. I don't have a ton of professional experience but I've been making stuff for like 10 years. I've also got a music background and occasionally break that out too.

I've got a website, fsablegames.com, where I have put blogs and stuff I've worked on. Currently in the midst of revamping a lot of this stuff to start applying to places again. I've been on the discord a while but I mostly have just read stuff. Hoping to get more active here and on the discord!

5 Likes

Hi, I’m Will. I worked in tech and games journalism for the first half of my career. About ten years ago, I started a VR studio where we made interactive VR talk shows and live animation (with S_N_D_R among others) for Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, and others. That folded during the pandemic and I spent the last three years working on The Anacrusis. I started out just doing comms and community stuff, but over 60+ early access updates, I picked up some new skills and was helping with BD tasks, handling releases and platform relationships, designing in-game events, and reworking the sound mix for the 1.0 launch.

I’m currently looking for what’s next, and would love to keep working in games. Ideally I’m looking for a small to mid sized studio who needs someone to start a comms and community team but can also use a games generalist.

Im willsmith.fun on bluesky and willsmith pretty much everywhere else.

8 Likes

Hello! I am Laura. I have long heard of the wonders of joe wintergreen's discord but I was trying to reduce the grip of discord on my life, so I never joined it. However I love forums, and have been looking for a more game dev oriented forum for a bit so I am glad to be here.

Professionally, I have worked in games since 2011 in a variety of goofy narrative and production roles, starting out at Tencent, doing a bunch of indie dev (including with @johnnemann !! hello!!), and then working as and editor and eventually writer at Riot for about 5 years. I quit the league factory last year and now I work as one of the narrative directors at Heart Machine. I also do the narrative stuff on Skin Deep.

I have abandoned all social media except cohost, where you can find me here. If you live in LA, my other big community thing is doing a bunch of event planning for Glitch City LA, where I organize the "touch grass" type events.

6 Likes

Hello. My name is Matt Pierson and I've worked at NetherRealm Studios for something like 12 years. We make Mortal Kombat. We also make Injustice (it's also Mortal Kombat but Superman shows up).

Before all that I worked with Joe on some fun projects such as:
Cowboys on a Truck
Velociraptor in an Office
Ball by the Ocean

During that time I made a bunch of stuff that I'm still proud of. Some of those things are:

• The truck the cowboys are on
  • Most of their guns
  • The Velociraptor that just wants a dang job
  • The Ball
  • Hank the Humpback

I also made some things I'd rather not admit to. Those are:

• The cowboys that ride the truck
  • A bald white man that interviews a raptor
  • Theres a weird twisty tree in Ball by the Ocean that I think looks like trash. It's too skinny and need more presence

These days at NRS I have a strange "jack of all trades" thing going on. I no longer do much art of any kind. I do a lot of technical animating, tool building, material creating, pipeline improving, blueprint making, tool creating, and general questioning on why anything is being done the way it's being done.

Polygon wrote an article about some of my work:

It includes the quote " It’s the kind of thing that some programmer at NetherRealm spent way too much time on, probably" and they're half right. I'm not a programmer.

I like my job a lot and the people there are genuinely wonderful. You'd be surprised.

When I'm not doing that I like to drive my car fast on a race track. I hate that its such an expensive hobby and I feel a fairly strong sense of guilt pretty often because I should probably be giving more money to charity or supporting more artists that I like, but I'm also working through some things and this helps.

Sometimes you give something a try and you're like "Yeah ok, this is pretty expensive, but it's just the one time" and then you try it and and you realize it's really great and you meet some great people and now you feel almost obligated to do it more so you sign up to do more of that thing but then your car breaks so you're like "Well shit, I better fix my car so I can do that thing and I can hang out with my new buds" but it costs like a crazy amount to fix your car, but you also feel a sense of obligation to your buds and those feelings snowball and suddenly you're just spending money that you probably shouldn't be, but you also save some money by doing the work yourself instead of taking it to a shop and you justify it all by saying you're learning a new skill but it also makes you wonder if your car is going to fall apart on Turn 5 because you forgot to torque a bolt on the front right control arm but maybe you're just overthinking things and you should really just learn to relax and enjoy this experience because thats the entire reason why you got into it in the first place and after all I do donate and I do support other artists and its just this one thing for me right? I can have one thing, cant I?

Anyway, here's my ArtStation:
shipbob.artstation.com

5 Likes

Hi folks, I'm JP. I've been designing levels since Doom, programming games since ehh like UE2 UnrealScript era, caring a lot about better tools and processes since forever but specifically making tools since the beginning of last decade-ish. Worked on the first two Bioschlocks, The Cave, most recent shipped game was Psychonauts 2. I will not answer any questions about my day job but I will answer questions about old game engines, art history, and birds of North America.

9 Likes

Hi there! My name's Emi, I use she / her pronouns. I'm a generalist programmer / game developer. After a short stint as a Senior Tools Programmer at a small indie shop (that shuttered) I'm now doing independent dev to bolster my portfolio / credits as I casually apply from some jobs and wait for the industry to figure it's shit out.

I'm a fierce leftist, who lives in Boston, and prefers tiny, agile teams. I also:

I'm a semi-lurker in the discord, so if you know me (or don't), say hi!

You can find me on twitter!

7 Likes

Heyo! I'm James M. Used to go by "dragonmaw" before constant questions about Warcraft made it too annoying to use that name.

Uhhh apocrypha about me... been "professionally" in games since 2007, almost always as QA. Counting mods and mapping and so on, I've been in games since I was a literal child. Notable games I've worked on include Uru Live, the first two Guild Wars 2 expansions, and Pokemon Go. I don't post about my day job on the public internet, but it's in AAA for a huge game. I like it a lot better than just about all my previous jobs.

Had a stint as a journo, where I covered indie games and MMOs for the likes of Massively, Joystiq, Gamefront, and ZAM. Used to be a very active global moderator on TIGsource, as well as the IRC admin, before I burnt out and deleted my account. Some people here probably recognize me from previous Internet Game Development Locations And Groups.

I'm an inveterate dabbler, which is a strength and a weakness. I make drone and jungle music. I have a few released solo games of no consequence (nothing recently). I lurk on forums and chatrooms blabbing about games. The usual, really. I find it hard to stick with something solo because I draw a lot of energy from friendly collaboration and different perspectives, which is probably why I'm all over the place.

Place seems nice! Glad to be here.

7 Likes

Hi all! I'm Brendon. I used to make mods for Quake and Half-life, then worked in AAA, and then founded an independent game company, Blendo Games.

Games I've made include Thirty Flights of Loving, Gravity Bone, Atom Zombie Smasher, Quadrilateral Cowboy. My site: https://blendogames.com

11 Likes

Good to see so many cool folks rockin' up. @ShipBob if I'm in your area again any time I'm gonna get you to drive me fast in a car.

it's Laura!!!!!!!

3 Likes

I'm Lhannan/mulmbot and this is wild because I've been wanting to do this exact same thing (make a forum because discord is bad at data and I also don't trust them) to the point where I had a linux VM running on my computer while I was figuring out the admin part of Discourse but HERE YOU ARE!

I'm so glad you did this so I didn't have to.
Anyway I'm a tech artist, uhh, probably followed some of you on twitter before it died

7 Likes

Hello, everyone; I'm Bruno. You may know me from such hits as Where the Water Tastes Like Wine, Neo Cab, Voyageur, and Mask of the Rose. Currently I'm the lead designer on Fallen London, where I work tirelessly* to worsen the player experience and add friction.

*I actually get tired very easily

9 Likes